You may think you know a lot about butterflies, but did you know...
- Butterflies are not deaf. Butterfly ears were discovered in 1912.
- The entire life cycle of the butterfly, from caterpillar, chrysalis to butterfly, can range between 2 to 8 months, depending on species.
- Butterflies are often transported by storms up to hundreds of kilometres, and sometimes thrown upwards to altitudes of thousands of metres.
- Caterpillars have no bones.
- Butterfly wings are composed of hard tubes covered by a fine tissue.
- Butterflies have 6 legs, but some species only use 4 of them.
- Some butterflies do not have mouths, and never eat for their entire adult life, existing on the energy stored as caterpillars.
- Butterflies don't have lungs.
- Butterflies can fly at speeds ranging from about 10km per hour, up to over 50km per hour.
- Butterfly wings are actually transparent. The colours are created by millions of tiny interlocking scales on the wings' surface.
Til next time.