You may think you know a lot about bees, but did you know...
- Bees are able to calculate and fly the shortest possible route between flowers and hive. They are the only animals known to have solved this problem.
- Researchers at the University of Illinois have discovered that bees have individual personalities.
- Scientists have used studies of bees to more successfully model criminal behaviour for police.
- 80% of all crop pollination of fruits, vegetables and seeds in the United States is achieved by honey bees.
- Bees can caculate angles, taking into account the curvature of the spherical earth, and communicate complex positioning data to other bees.
- Honey contains everything necessary to sustain life, including water.
- Bees have two stomachs – one for digesting and one for nectar.
- Honey is a humectant, meaning that it holds water, making it an excellent moisturiser. Because of this it is also very soothing for minor burns, and will help minimise scarring.
- A single bee hive can make up to 150kg of honey each year.
- Bees are the only insect that produce food that is edible by humans.
Til next time.